Leïla Hubeaut, who is qualified in France, has built significant experience advising on mergers, acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and project (and related infrastructure) development, principally within the power, mining, hydrocarbons and infrastructure sectors, with a particular focus on Francophone North and sub-Saharan Africa.
Her skill set includes the regulatory and public law aspects of projects, licensing of regulated activities and work under mining and petroleum codes. She also advises on contentious matters in the context of mining and related claims.
Leïla is of French mother tongue and is fluent in English and Spanish. Her experience prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills included a one year secondment to her previous employer's New York office.
• Admitted at the Paris Bar (2003)
• Paris Bar Exam (CAPA) (2000)
• LL.M in International Business Law, Boston University, USA (2002)
• Master's Degree in International Business Law and Management, with honors, Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Paris (ESCP) (Graduate School of Management) (1999)
• Master's Degree in Business Law, with honors (Diplôme de Juriste Conseil d'Entreprise-DJCE), University of Cergy-Pontoise, France (1998)
• Bachelor of French Business Law and Bachelor of Spanish Law, with honors, University of Cergy-Pontoise, France (1998)
- Member of IBA's Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure section
- Member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
Publications and speaking engagements
- Led a roundtable discussion on the Risks associated with Infrastructure Project Development in Africa (AFJE, April 2015)
- Spoke at a seminar on Energy in Africa – Investments, regulation and privatisation (Ecole des Mines, May 2015)
- Author of an article on Solar Projects in Africa : project structuring and risks (LexisNexis, Energie-Environnement Infrastructures, May 2015)
- Member of the expert panel for the publication Énergie-Environnement Infrastructures (for publisher LexisNexis
- Speaker, "China-Africa Investment Forum", IFLR, Beijing, June 2013
- Speaker, "From Below the Earth to Around the World: Managing the Multi-Jurisdictional Issues Related to Pursuing Mining Claims in the Mining Industry", American Bar Association Fall Meeting, Dublin 2011
- Speaker, "Project Finance in Africa", Development Institute International session, Paris, 2010
- Speaker, "New Trends for Financing Mining Projects", International Bar Association, Madrid, October 2009
- Speaker, "Integrated upstream contract negotiation in the Gulf of Guinea", CWC Group, Gulf of Guinea Oil and Gas Conference, London, 2008
- Contributor to Hydrocarbons Chapter VI of the new French Energy Code for publisher LexisNexis, 2013